On The Wheel of Fire
Questions and Answers
- Who’s the person in charge of you? The person you deal with directly, not like the local lord or mayor or whatever. How have you traditionally dealt with each other?
- Sir Stephen officially holds lordship over the town. His wife, Marguerite is, by all accounts, the one actually in power. Stephen is generally considered to be incompetent when it comes to leadership, while his lady wife is a ranking member of the priesthood. Many of the townsfolk still follow the old folk faiths, so there’s a lot of talk about His Lordship being a cuckold.
- What does this village have that’s valuable enough to provoke a raid?
- It’s a trade center, located on the banks of a wide river. Merchants come from near and far to hawk their wares in the local markets, or to make deals with foreign traders for exotic goods.
- What does this town offer you that you can’t get anywhere else?
- The town offers stability, opportunity and security for the characters.
- What have the locals been saying about the nature of these raiders? What kind of stuff do people say they do? What do they say about who leads them?
- The word is that the raiders are an unstoppable horde, come to rape, pillage and burn. It’s said that their leader is a woman who dresses in the clothing of a man.
- Is there a local peacekeeping force, like a city watch or militia? How come you’re being sent to deal with this crap instead of them? How’s that sit with you?
- There are some local guards, but most forces come in the form of peasant levies raised in times of war. in this case, though, the local leadership is hoping that a small, expendable group can deter the raiders before they become a serious problem. Or at least provide a distraction that will let local forces get organized. In order to ensure their cooperation, the constabulary is holding some funds earmarked for one Antony Vargas in safe keeping.
- What’s the name of the country you’re in? What’s a far-off place that people talk about, either in awe? What about in dread?
- What’s the name of this village?
- The village is called Mirkwell.